Lately I feel like the world is throwing a very specific reminder at me from all directions. From Julia Marcum’s ‘Don’t wait’ to Shavonda’s advice that curating your home is a marathon, not a sprint to Whitney McGregor’s interview with Anne Smith on the But Not All at Once podcast, the universe really wants me to remember that I need to love my house as it is and create a sacred, loving place for me and for my family. There’s a children’s hymn, Home Can Be a Heaven on Earth (which I freely admit has never been my favorite), that reminds you in a sickly sweet way that your home should be as close to a sacred space as you can create. Who doesn’t love the feeling of walking into your home, dropping your bags, and just feeling that bone-deep release? You are home. You are loved here. You are in a safe place.
I hope that all of you have somewhere that you can embrace that feeling. We will be doing our best this holiday season to embrace the space that we are in, in its current state ,and enjoy it as fully as possible.
It’s not official until it’s on the internet right? Well, here’s our announcement: we bought a house! Unless you have directly seen us, we’ve been keeping it a bit quiet. It felt like a jinx to announce before the actual move (we’re very optimistic people, we promise). We’ve officially been in the house for about two weeks now and I can say it’s exciting and chaotic. It seems like this entire month has been utter madness and it has been non-stop, but with the help of some fabulous friends and family, we are finally getting settled in.
I can’t wait to really dig into making this house ours and turning a house into a home.
Happy Thanksgiving Week! I’m excited to say that Moqqup Studios is ready to launch this year’s holiday cards and we can’t wait to show you!
We have created 5×7″ Holiday Cards featuring 6 different hand-painted watercolor designs that have been digitally reproduced on high quality linen paper stock so that no detail is lost. Each card is blank on the inside, making them ideal for your personalized holiday message.
The six designs include a Wreath, 2 types of Holiday Ornaments, a Holly Branch, a Snowman, and a fabulous Christmas Tree.
This week’s post is going to deviate slightly from the typical. Half the coast is hunkering down in preparation for Hurricane Matthew, half my state united this week in support of a little boy who wanted to be a superhero. It’s been inspiring to watch so many people from so many walks of life unite.
It feels trivial to post about art and design when so many powerful things are happening out there. Maybe that’s what people need though. Sometimes, the constant social media posts can get very overwhelming and it’s easy to get bogged down. It’s important to remember to take a break once in awhile and do something just for yourself, just to bring a little joy into the world.
So shut your phone, turn off your tv. Go for a walk. Hug your dog. Do some yoga.
Another week has gone by and it just doesn’t seem real that September is halfway over. Is fall here yet? It surely doesn’t feel like it.
1) I have a public service announcement for y’all. From me to you. When painting, be very, very careful to not mix up your drink with your paint water. Share to save a life. And keep your tongue from turning blue. Labels save lives people.
2) This week we actually stayed near 80 degrees for awhile. It was like the briefest glimpse of respite, to be snatched away oh so quickly. I’ve never gotten used to the idea that the leaves can change while you can still roast an egg on the sidewalk. Madness.
3) I spent a lot of time this week planning and plotting for things for Moqqup Studios and I am so excited for what’s coming. However, with that excitement also comes intimidation and maybe some panic. Who says we can do this? What if our plans don’t go through? When I shared my thoughts with my sister, she sent me this and I have to say, one of my favorite reads this year. I love this. I encourage you all to read this post by Bower Power Blog and remember that there is no such thing as a picture perfect life and that yes, dust is a real thing.
4) Speaking of perfect spaces and potential, I am in full house hunting mode. Does Trulia suck anyone else in on a routine basis? Just me? Oops. That’s been my stress relief this week. Comes highly recommended.
5) I have never seen a puppy so devoted to someone as our dog is to my husband. The sun rises and sets on this man to her. He went out to run errands this week and Bella lay by the doorway pretty much the whole time waiting on him to come back to her. It was cute and sad all at one time.
Do you know how many photos we have of Bella waiting on Chris to come home? Countless. Bless her.
Devotion in its truest form
She brought her blanket to this one.
How can you say ‘no’ to those eyes? I’m honestly not sure how he leaves the house. I’m weak.