It’s not official until it’s on the internet right? Well, here’s our announcement: we bought a house! Unless you have directly seen us, we’ve been keeping it a bit quiet. It felt like a jinx to announce before the actual move (we’re very optimistic people, we promise). We’ve officially been in the house for about two weeks now and I can say it’s exciting and chaotic. It seems like this entire month has been utter madness and it has been non-stop, but with the help of some fabulous friends and family, we are finally getting settled in.
I can’t wait to really dig into making this house ours and turning a house into a home.
The past few days of pretty weather have made me obsess over spring. It is the season on new possibilities, the season of flowers, and the season of allergies. Two of those are exciting. One is a necessary evil. And please don’t be that person and crush my dreams, don’t point out that I live in South Carolina, and there’s still at least one cold snap coming. I realize this; I enjoy my denial.
How do you make it through that last stretch between winter and spring? I’m over here trying to convince myself to come out of hibernation and get back to exercising and get over missing the festivity of Christmas decor.
What are your default ways to celebrate the new season? Music? Flowers? Spring Cleaning? We need some inspiration over here!
Have you ever been shopping online or standing in a store, seen a shirt and just had an AHA moment? A moment where you are absolutely certain that this thing was made for you? The angels are singing, the birds are chirping and that shirt is coming home with you? Have you ever then gone home, put on the shirt and just felt deflated at the total disconnect? Sometimes what looked fantastic on the model just doesn’t translate to your body type. Sometimes that particular color or pattern doesn’t flatter (or in my pale case, makes you look like a walking corpse… shout out to all the white clothes I think are cute but really wash me out). Sometimes you were just feeling boho that day but in reality that’s not your style. It happens. The same is true of design.
Recently I’ve been catching up on blogs galore and a few things have stuck out to me: making decisions is hard. It takes trial and error to find the perfect fit for you. Design is an intensely personal thing. It’s influenced by so many different factors. These can include everything from look to budget to lighting to durability to what’s on sale. And that’s before you even factor in tastes and needs of the other people in your household. It can be tricky. And that’s ok.
Never be scared to make a change to your space. It’s your home. You spend so much cumulative time there… why shouldn’t you enjoy it? If you can take a chance on that shirt, you can take a chance on your home! Try that paint color; the worst that happens is you have a good laugh and then you repaint. Change up your furniture if you don’t love it… that’s why the internet invented Craigslist. Somewhere out there, someone is going to love that piece. If something doesn’t make you happy, help make your life easier… then bite the bullet. Admit your ‘white shirt’ isn’t for you. You love blue anyways.
Pretty much the only white I’ve ever loved… and it’s ivory!
Another week has gone by and it just doesn’t seem real that September is halfway over. Is fall here yet? It surely doesn’t feel like it.
1) I have a public service announcement for y’all. From me to you. When painting, be very, very careful to not mix up your drink with your paint water. Share to save a life. And keep your tongue from turning blue. Labels save lives people.
2) This week we actually stayed near 80 degrees for awhile. It was like the briefest glimpse of respite, to be snatched away oh so quickly. I’ve never gotten used to the idea that the leaves can change while you can still roast an egg on the sidewalk. Madness.
3) I spent a lot of time this week planning and plotting for things for Moqqup Studios and I am so excited for what’s coming. However, with that excitement also comes intimidation and maybe some panic. Who says we can do this? What if our plans don’t go through? When I shared my thoughts with my sister, she sent me this and I have to say, one of my favorite reads this year. I love this. I encourage you all to read this post by Bower Power Blog and remember that there is no such thing as a picture perfect life and that yes, dust is a real thing.
4) Speaking of perfect spaces and potential, I am in full house hunting mode. Does Trulia suck anyone else in on a routine basis? Just me? Oops. That’s been my stress relief this week. Comes highly recommended.
5) I have never seen a puppy so devoted to someone as our dog is to my husband. The sun rises and sets on this man to her. He went out to run errands this week and Bella lay by the doorway pretty much the whole time waiting on him to come back to her. It was cute and sad all at one time.
Do you know how many photos we have of Bella waiting on Chris to come home? Countless. Bless her.
Devotion in its truest form
She brought her blanket to this one.
How can you say ‘no’ to those eyes? I’m honestly not sure how he leaves the house. I’m weak.
Enjoy your weekends, everyone!